MEET OUR DESIGNER...
I have been creating and designing since I was a child. I feel that it was the prelude to Serafin Jewellery. I found my perfect medium, an extension of who I am and who I've been - fashion designer, current affairs producer. I love the process of connecting to my core, imbuing each creation with passion. And I hope that the joy I, we, get from making each piece is shared by everyone who wears it. I also wanted to produce jewellery with a conscience - and we're committed to ethically sourced, conflict free, sustainable jewellery. What's serendipitous about our beginnings is that I found this new creative medium through my eldest son Gabriel. He was drawn to jewellery after an accident caused him to rethink his career path. Serafin began three and a half years ago. Out of a desire to work creatively and most importantly, with my son Gabriel. And now it's become a family affair - myself, Gabriel, my niece Amanda and most recently, part time my youngest son Joel. In 2018 we had three highly skilled artisanal jewellers join us, who are all a perfect fit with Serafin - full of joy, kindness and love - for others and what they do. We live, work and play on Sydney's Northern Beaches - our little piece of Heaven; and pinch ourselves every day that we work here doing something we love, with people we love.
Here are 23 Questions so that we can get to know our Designer a little better…
- NAME ONE THING YOU CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT?
- WHAT DO YOU DO TO DE-STRESS?
Drink red wine & meditate.
- WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE SMELLS?
Lemongrass, Cade, The ocean, Lagerfeld mens cologne (I used to give this to my brother and it reminds me of him), Garlic & Olives.
- NAME THREE THINGS THAT YOU LOVE?
- My family.
- My family.
- My family.
- WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE CLOTHING DESIGNER?
It used to be Comme Des Garcon, but now it’s Prada.
- DESCRIBE YOUR FASHION SENSE?
Minimal. Always barefoot. Mostly black and high end materials & natural fibres.
- WHAT’S THE FIRST THING THAT YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE?
I look for their heart first to see if they’re a good person.
- WHAT COUNTRY WOULD YOU LIKE TO VISIT NEXT?
- WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED?
All the time! I cry with love, joy, passion and sorrow. At weddings, funerals, music, the successes of my family, memories.
- DO YOU HAVE ANY PETS?
I have and always will! We have three beautiful dogs at the moment & I have been trying to get a pig. I LOVE all animals… except for cockroaches & rats.
- WHERE WERE YOU BORN?
Camperdown, Sydney, Australia.
- NAME YOUR TOP THREE MUSIC ARTISTS.
- Billie Eilish (currently).
- Barbra Streisand.
- Claudio Baglioni.
- WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE MUSIC STYLES?
Everything from Opera to Jazz, Rap, Classical. All music, if it's good music. Except Bluegrass….never Bluegrass!
- DO YOU PLAY ANY MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS?
Piano and a little Bandura (really not that great on the Bandura).
- HOW MANY LANGUAGES DO YOU SPEAK?
English, French & Spanish.
- WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE RESTAURANT IN SYDNEY?
Mr. Wong – it’s everything!
- WHO ARE YOUR FAVOURITE ARTISTS?
- Pablo Picasso
- Henri Matisse
- Constantin Brancusi
- Henry Moore
- Édouard Manet
- DO YOU COOK? AND IF SO, WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE THING TO COOK?
I did for a long time, but now only when I feel like it. My boys, my family are all happy to cook. And my favourite thing cook; Paella.
- WHO DO YOU MISS?
My father - every day and my mother.
- WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE FILMS
- Green Book
- A Star is Born
- Little Women
- WHO ARE YOUR FAVOURITE ACTORS?
- Dame Judy Dench
- Maggie Smith
- Tom Hardy
- James McAvoy
- Emma Thompson
- Saoirse Ronan
- Helen Mirren
- Meryl Streep
- DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE QUOTE?
"Nothing beats kindness", said the horse, "it sits quietly beyond all things" from The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse
- WHAT’S THE BEST THING THAT YOU’VE LEARNT AT THIS STAGE OF YOUR LIFE?
That the only thing in life worth living for is love; giving and receiving.